Winner of Digital Workplace of the Year 2018 – Liberty Mutual Insurance
Amidst the buzz of the DW Experience conference in Chicago, the digital workplace team at Liberty Mutual Insurance stepped up to the podium to accept the prestigious award for Digital Workplace of the Year 2018 from DWG CEO Paul Miller. The Awards are produced by DWG in partnership with SMG/CMSWire, and celebrate organizations and practitioners who have excelled this year in creating well-executed, high-performing digital workplace environments.
The competition was fierce this year, with an impressive set of entries submitted by organizations across a range of industries and countries. Liberty Mutual, however, emerged as a clear and convincing winner. In fact, this entry really wowed our judges – with high scores across the award criteria, but especially for the strategic approach, with its relentless focus on simplifying employees’ lives, as well as some seriously impressive features.
DWG CEO Paul Miller commented after presenting the award to the team in Chicago:
“Liberty Mutual set itself apart through its strategic approach, with a clear focus on simplifying employees’ lives. But what this second year for the awards really surfaced was the power, ambition and achievements already of many diverse organizations. These organizational and individual global industry awards promote acknowledgement and appreciation of what it takes to create digital worlds worth working in.”
Hitting the strategy and governance nails right on the head
The judges particularly commented on the strength of Liberty Mutual’s digital workplace strategy, as well as the robust governance that underpins the programme. Their approach includes:
- Clear alignment to long-term measures of organizational success and strategic improvement priorities, and demonstration of how the digital workplace supports these.
- A central focus on the employee experience by simplifying the lives of employees and enabling them to be their best both personally and professionally.
- A Digital Workplace Organization Model with clearly defined roles, a coherent rationale and broad stakeholder engagement.
- An open-source architectural model enabling developers around the business to evolve the digital workplace while ensuring they stay within guardrails for branding, design and UX.
The relentless presence of the employee at the heart of everything the Liberty Mutual digital workplace team does won both hearts and minds on the judging panel!
Features that enable tasks and solve problems
It’s hard not to be anything but bowled over by the features that Liberty Mutual’s digital workplace offers its employees. As one judge said: “The impressive features were all about bang for the buck and less about gee-whizz sizzle!”. Let’s take a quick look at why:
- myHub. This personalized tool, which is unobtrusively integrated into the intranet homepage, provides employees with announcements, to do’s and approval requests, customizable tasks and easy access to personal information.
- Workplace Chatbot. The workplace chatbot is helping make employees’ lives simpler by answering common questions across areas such as IT, HR and Facilities. It can also complete certain tasks, such as unlocking an iPhone, on the user’s behalf.
- Mobile application. Employees can stay connected and keep working wherever they are with a range of capabilities including content, social, people search/profiles, and productivity applications available on iOS and Android devices
The features not only look and sound fantastic, they are also delivering real, tangible value to both employees and the organization. For instance, a reduction of more than $30 in IT helpdesk costs per unlocked mobile device, and a 40% increase in internal communication click-through rates due to mobile.
A passion for excellence in everything
Not only is the Liberty Mutual workplace highly impressive (there’s more, we’re just giving you the highlights here!), the team also made a fantastic job of their award entry, enthusing the panel with their passion as well as supplying ample evidence to support all of their achievements and demonstrate why they should win. If you’re thinking of entering next year, this is a top tip on how to impress the judges!
In 2019, perhaps you will be a winner? Or maybe you will want to nominate a digital workplace leader who has inspired you? Look out on our website for entries opening early 2019.
Registration for Digital Workplace Experience 2019 is already open with big discounts for early booking.
Digital Workplace Experience 2019
June 17–19, 2019 in Chicago, register now.
Research and resources
Take the next step
Request a sample benchmarking report
Categorised in: Digital Workplace of the Year Awards