Independent, in-depth, member-driven
Research reports for you.
2021 research programme
The DWG research programme delivers to members six or more reports each year.
We base research topics on issues most relevant to DWG members and pack
reports with case studies, data and actionable guidelines.
Popular research topics
Measuring digital workplaces
metrics and KPIs that matter
Strategy and governance
How major companies do it
Strategies for high quality
“The research programme and the knowledge that emerges from member meetings is very useful. The ability to easily find information on what is best practice in a specific area means that we can always get help with whatever topic is on hand.”
Digital Media Manager
Meet the DWG research authors
Shimrit Janes – Social, knowledge sharing, strategy
Shimrit Janes is a freelance researcher, writer and consultant, specializing in the use of social technology for knowledge sharing. She previously led an award-winning joint project with law firm RPC and The University of Westminster’s Business School, which included implementing and overseeing a bespoke social intranet. Her current work covers a range of projects, including continued research and writing work with The University of Westminster on implementing effective social knowledge platforms. Shimrit also carries out research and consultancy for DWG, in addition to being our Community Manager covering Europe.
Follow on Twitter: @shimi_j
Chris Tubb – Evaluation frameworks, strategy, metrics
Chris Tubb is an independent intranet and digital workplace consultant, who lives in Brighton. For the Digital Workplace Group (DWG) he is a strategy consultant, lead benchmarker and a member of the research team. Working with intranets since 1996, in and out of IT and Communications departments, Chris was formerly responsible for intranet strategy and architecture at Orange SA and France Telecom Group. Chris lives in Brighton, England and takes photography too seriously.
Follow on Twitter: @christubb
Steve Bynghall – Social intranets, strategy, current trends
Steve is a research and knowledge lead across the Digital Workplace Group of businesses. A prolific report writer, Steve also researched and was the content producer for Paul Miller’s book “The Digital Workplace: How Technology is Liberating Work”. Steve launched and managed the global client extranet programme at BDO, the world’s fifth largest accounting network. A passionate advocate of remote working, he can often be spotted in Starbucks with his long suffering laptop.
Follow on Twitter: @bynghall
Elizabeth Marsh – Director of Research
Elizabeth Marsh is Director of Research at Digital Workplace Group. She recently co-authored a book with Paul Miller “The Digital Renaissance of Work: Delivering digital workplaces fit for the future” and has authored reports on digital leadership, intranet management practices, and the future of work. Elizabeth is a researcher and consultant with over 15 years’ experience in intranet and digital workplace management, including at organizations such as Reuters and T-Mobile UK.
Follow on Twitter: @digitalsanity
“The research is very good, it’s a trusted source and long may it continue. You’re acting as the eyes and ears of 100+ intranet teams.”
Digital Specialist, Intranet
Extensive Library of Research
Most of the previously-published research reports listed below are exclusively available to members.
Executive summaries and excerpts of selected research reports are available for free download.
- The eight phases of intranet content migration: How to make the move (free report excerpt with checklist)
- The Intelligent Digital Workplace Assistant: An introduction for digital workplace teams (full report)
- Raising your organisation’s digital IQ: How to improve digital skills (free report excerpt)
- Knowledge Management lessons for digital workplace practitioners: How to avoid reinventing the wheel (free executive summary)
- Digital workplace adoption strategies: Proven approaches to bring users on board (free report excerpt)
- Digital Workplace 2030: Preparing now for the digital worlds of work to come (full report)
- Evolving the employee mobile experience: Six key approaches for success (free executive summary)
- Digital workplace content strategy: What practitioners need to know (free executive summary)
- Digital workplace integration: Key approaches to drive benefits (full report)
- Setting up a user experience programme: The path to a user-centred digital workplace (free executive summary)
- Measuring the digital workplace (free report excerpt)
- The Inside-Out Digital Leader (free executive summary)
- Office 365 (free report excerpt)
- Is your organization ready for the digital workplace? (free executive summary)
- The personalized intranet (free executive summary)
- Documenting intranet management practices (free executive summary)
- The changing role of Internal Communications (free executive summary)
- How mature is your digital workplace? (full report)
- Change Management for the Intranet and Digital Workplace (free executive summary)
- Becoming a Digital Workplace Leader (free executive summary)
- Digital Communication Channels (free executive summary)
- Measuring Internal Communications (free report excerpt)
- Successful Social Intranets (free executive summary)
- Checklist for Setting up a Digital Workplace Programme (free checklist)
- Success with Enterprise Mobile (free executive summary)
- Intranet employee directories (free executive summary)
- Setting up the digital workplace program (free executive summary)
- Developing a user-centered intranet information architecture (free executive summary)
- Digital Workplace Business Case (free report)
- From intranet to digital workplace: how to evolve your strategy (free report)
- The SharePoint 2013 Intranet (free executive summary)
- Digital workplace fundamentals (free report)
- The art of collaboration: optimizing online collaboration for success (free executive summary)
- Managing content (free executive summary)
- Intranet strategy and governance: a good practice guide (free executive summary)
- Measuring intranets: a guide to intranet metrics and measurement (free executive summary)
- Managing enterprise search (authored by Martin White)
- Now playing on an intranet near you (video on the intranet)
- Social intranets in action (free excerpt)
Making the case for DWG membership