During hour five of Digital Workplace 24 Accenture drove us through a live tour of their gamified collaboration and knowledge sharing space. Accenture has a very mature approach to gamification, but generally speaking, gamification within companies is fraught with challenges.
Key issues of gamification
- Different personalities react to gamification differently: While people in Sales may respond to competition, other employees may not.
- Extrinsic motivation only goes so far
- Gaming the system: The question isn’t “will they?” but “how will they?” – People will always try to game the system; the trick is to adapt and minimize known ways to game the system
- Is gamification manipulative? – Some people feel the entire arena of gamification within a company is psychological manipulation.
- Don’t call it “gamification” – Executives don’t want to hear about “gamification.” So you’ve got to speak about it in terms of collaboration and business value.
- “Gamification: Use it for good, not evil.” – Steve Kaukonen