Independent, in-depth, member-driven
Research reports for you.
2017 research programme
The DWG research programme delivers to members six or more reports each year.
We base research topics on issues most relevant to DWG members and pack
reports with case studies, data and actionable guidelines.
Popular research topics
Metrics and KPIs that matter
Strategy and governance
How major companies do it
Strategies for high quality
“The research programme and the knowledge that emerges from member meetings is very useful. The ability to easily find information on what is best practice in a specific area means that we can always get help with whatever topic is on hand.”
Digital Media Manager
Meet the DWG research authors
Cheryl Lesser – Usability, communications
Cheryl Lesser is a freelance researcher and usability benchmarking evaluator with DWG. She earned her corporate communications chops at Thomson Reuters, where she provided strategic communications counsel to a variety of internal clients. Cheryl then shifted focus to the intranet, where she first served as the corporate managing editor and later oversaw the day-to-day operations for an intranet for 67,000 employees. Cheryl’s current work is focused on intranet usability.
Follow on Twitter: @cllessers
Shimrit Janes – Social, knowledge sharing, strategy
Shimrit Janes is a freelance researcher, writer and consultant, specializing in the use of social technology for knowledge sharing. She previously led an award-winning joint project with law firm RPC and The University of Westminster’s Business School, which included implementing and overseeing a bespoke social intranet. Her current work covers a range of projects, including continued research and writing work with The University of Westminster on implementing effective social knowledge platforms. Shimrit also carries out research and consultancy for DWG, in addition to being our Community Manager covering Europe.
Follow on Twitter: @shimi_j
Chris Tubb – Evaluation frameworks, strategy, metrics
Chris Tubb is an independent intranet and digital workplace consultant, who lives in Brighton. For the Digital Workplace Group (DWG) he is a strategy consultant, lead benchmarker and a member of the research team. Working with intranets since 1996, in and out of IT and Communications departments, Chris was formerly responsible for intranet strategy and architecture at Orange SA and France Telecom Group. Chris lives in Brighton, England and takes photography too seriously.
Follow on Twitter: @christubb
Steve Bynghall – Social intranets, strategy, current trends
Steve is a research and knowledge lead across the Digital Workplace Group of businesses. A prolific report writer, Steve also researched and was the content producer for Paul Miller’s book “The Digital Workplace: How Technology is Liberating Work”. Steve launched and managed the global client extranet programme at BDO, the world’s fifth largest accounting network. A passionate advocate of remote working, he can often be spotted in Starbucks with his long suffering laptop.
Follow on Twitter: @bynghall
Stella Watts – Usability, design
Stella served her apprenticeship implementing content management systems for internet and intranet sites at major league organizations such as Clifford Chance, Vodafone and TNT – all the while putting user experience and sector best practice at the heart of her work. For the past five years she has been an independent consultant engaged in user testing, benchmarking, project oversight and usability research for a diverse client list. Asked to encapsulate her IA wisdom in just 25 pages she somehow succeeded.
Follow on Twitter: @StellaWatts
“The research is very good, it’s a trusted source and long may it continue. You’re acting as the eyes and ears of 100+ intranet teams.”
Digital Specialist, Intranet
Extensive Library of Research
Most of the previously-published research reports listed below are exclusively available to members.
Executive summaries of select research reports are available for free download.
- Change Management for the Intranet and Digital Workplace (free executive summary)
- Becoming a Digital Workplace Leader (free executive summary)
- Digital Communication Channels (free executive summary)
- Measuring Internal Communications (free executive summary)
- Successful Social Intranets (free executive summary)
- Checklist for Setting up a Digital Workplace Programme (free checklist)
- Success with Enterprise Mobile (free executive summary)
- Intranet employee directories (free executive summary)
- Setting up the digital workplace program (free executive summary)
- Developing a user-centered intranet information architecture (free executive summary)
- Digital Workplace Business Case (free report)
- From intranet to digital workplace: how to evolve your strategy (free report)
- The SharePoint 2013 Intranet (free executive summary)
- Digital workplace fundamentals (free report)
- The art of collaboration: optimizing online collaboration for success (free executive summary)
- Managing content (free executive summary)
- Intranet strategy and governance: a good practice guide (free executive summary)
- Measuring intranets: a guide to intranet metrics and measurement (free executive summary)
- Managing enterprise search (authored by Martin White)
- Now playing on an intranet near you (video on the intranet)
- Social intranets in action (free excerpt)
- Intranet platforms: a guide to understanding the landscape – authored by Martin White (free executive summary)
- Intranet love affairs: be passionate about your intranet – advice for intranet managers (free executive summary)
- Enterprise mobility: an intranet perspective (authored by Martin White)
- Good practice for HR intranets
- Managing risk in the digital workplace
- Good practice in intranet findability
- One company intranet: moving from many intranets to one (free executive summary)
- An evaluation of SharePoint 2010 as a platform for enterprise intranets – authored by Martin White (free executive summary)
- New directions in usability (free executive summary)
- Digital Workplace Maturity Model
- Using the intranet to achieve operational excellence
- The structure and management of intranet teams
- Good practice in implementing A-Z directories
- Social media guide: best practice in implementing intranet 2.0 (free executive summary)
- An evaluation of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 as a platform for enterprise intranets
(authored by Martin White)
- The art of tagging: social bookmarking behind the firewall
- Managing news on the intranet
- The green intranet: 10 ways to use your intranet to build sustainability
- The inclusive intranet: reaching the needs of hard-to-find staff (free executive summary)
- Employee directories – wave three: transforming the employee directory into a more powerful tool at the heart of collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Intranets 2015 part 1: the context and the major trends
- Intranets 2015 part 2: global information commons and global integration
- Intranets 2015 part 3: the rise of the semantic intranet
- Intranets 2015 part 4: more global, more local, more mobile
- Intranets 2015 part 5: what it means for the intranet professional
- The recession strength intranet
- Intranet governance in the social media age
- 12 ways to use your intranet to cut costs
- Realising the potential of personalisation
- Improving search
- Usability of third party intranet applications
- How usable is SharePoint 2007 for intranets?
- Video-in-demand: the growth of video on corporate intranets
- Intranet strategy and governance: the state of the art
- Writing for intranets: how readable is your content?
- The role of intranets in influencing corporate culture
- Social computing and web 2.0 behind the firewall
Making the case for DWG membership