Measure twice, cut once…
The carpenter’s adage about careful measurement being a critical precursor to thoughtful action holds true when building virtual worlds.
Of course, even before measuring, you have to know WHAT to measure and HOW to apply those measurements to plan an effective, engaging digital workplace, so let’s make sure we are speaking the same language…
- Intranet measurement: the process of quantifying any aspect of intranet usage and performance.
- Intranet metrics: the various types of measurement, whether direct or derived, that quantify intranet usage and performance.
- Intranet KPI (Key Performance Indicator): an intranet metric aligned to organisational goals, chosen and agreed with management to report on progress.
- Web analytics platform or intranet analytics platform: the software tool used for intranet measurement and for storing data on various intranet metrics.
- Analysis or analytics: the process of turning measurements into actionable insight.
Collectively, these concepts comprise an ecosystem of invaluable information which can be used to improve your existing intranet, prove ROI or develop businesses cases for new investments, and devise an data-driven strategies for moving toward an effective digital workplace.
Recent resources on metrics and measurement
Have you heard? Video games aren’t just for kids any more; the average gamer is 35 years old. They’re not even just for men; 48% of gamers are women. And get this: they’re also not just for the lazy and ...
I like to say that creating a truly great intranet is easy: you just need to get hundreds of people within your organization to run a few dozen processes smoothly for maybe three years. Simple!
In reality, we all know it’s ...
View all metrics & measurement »
What we’re reading (& bookmarking!)
HungryFEED can't get feed. Don't be mad at HungryFEED. SimplePie reported: cURL error 6: Could not resolve: feeds.delicious.com (Domain name not found)